Our Documenters program is a critical component to City Bureau’s mission to bridge the ideals of civic journalism with the economic and political realities in which it exists. Documenters will participate in a range of City Bureau projects, including, but not limited to:
- Attending and recording Chicago's public meetings and civic events
- Engaging in projects designed to increase the role of reporting and storytelling in public discourse
- Using data, official reports and community dialogue to provide context to some of the city’s most pressing issues
- Live tweeting public events
- Assisting with City Bureau's town hall events
- Writing reflections to be featured in City Bureau’s blog
City Bureau's Documenters programs pays community members a living, hourly wage to inform and engage their communities. Visit our Chicago Tracker Project for one example of how Community Documenters put their skills, knowledge and experience to work in Chicago.
Ideal candidates have some interest in local politics, the civic process and storytelling. Stipends and transportation are provided per event attended. Documenters will attend training session(s) with City Bureau before participating.
Fill out the application below to enroll in our Documenters program (all are welcome!). Email Andrea Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.